Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Information About The Book

Updated February 17, 2014
I never would have ever imagined we would see so many in these waters!
The first year the book had about 85 transients.  It is now almost double that.

All the whales of J, K and L pods featured in family groupings, with information about specific identification clues regarding individuals.

Printed both sides.
Laminated.

Sample of the J11s

Transients

Those I have 'met' in the waters of the Salish Sea since 2008. 

Right and left sides.
In side-loaded sleeves. It gives ability to keep the Ts in numerical order as additional Ts are encountered.
There are now more than 160 individuals included in The Book. 
*Though there are many more transients, most do not frequent these waters. When they are encountered they can be added to The Book. (see below for more detail on that)

Note: The Book comes in a binder and includes some comparison pages - Southern Residents to Transients, and other interesting pages that compliment the whales.

Each new book sold is current in the year it is sold.  Update pages can then be added each year.


Cost:
U.S. $125 + tax 10.00 + $10 shipping costs = $145.00 (Feb. 2014)

Canada $125 + 15 shipping costs = $140

I will calculate the shipping for multiple books in one mailing and let you know.


How to purchase:

Have a Paypal Account?
Email me at L41L57@yahoo.com
Let me know what you want.
I'll create and send you a Paypal invoice that you can pay from.

OR

mail check to:
Jeanne Hyde
PO Box 862
Friday Harbor, WA 98250


*Early each year, where beneficial (i.e. new nicks, scratches, size changes, baby pictures, etc), pages will be updated, and made available for purchase as individual pages, for those who have previously purchased The Book, so you don't have to buy the whole thing again  I'll do this for as long as I can.


As the person who encouraged me to make this book available to others said, "It's a work in progress."
It has to be, as the whales are ever changing.

Please note:  
The inside cover of the book gives acknowledgements.  
Here's what it says:

Images of all the Southern Resident Community killer whales J, K, and L pods and images of the Transient killer whlaes that I have seen in the Salish Sea starting in 2008, is a continuing work in progress.

There is no way I could ever repay Captain Jim Maya of Maya's Westside Charters or Captain Ivan Reiff, Western Prince and Western Explorer for my being able to pursue my passion beyond the shore line.  Without them it would not have been possible.

It would also not have been possible to identify the individual whales seen without the photo identification charts from the long term studies of the:

Center for Whale Research
San Juan Island, WA
Ken Balcomb and Dave Ellifrit
Official Orca Survey ID charts 

and

Pacific Biological Station
Nanimo, B.C.
Graeme Ellis, Jared Towers, and John Ford
Transient Killer Whales of B.C. and Southeast Alaska ID charts

also

Simon Pidcock of Ocean EcoVentures, Cowichan Bay, B.C.,
Mark Malleson and Ron Bates,
for their ID help

And I give acknowledgement to myself for the thousands of images taken, and the time spent learning just who it is I am observing, which has enabled me to share my encounters on my blog.

Thanks for your interest!...and maybe even your purchase!

No comments:

Post a Comment